HI, I haven’t forgotten to conclude this series, because guys…it’s still ongoing. I KNOW. We have hit the 7 month mark on this fiasco. It’s been really not cool. Only now do I feel like the end is in sight? I question that, because I’ve said that before and well, here we are! Here’s a quick update on the things that have taken place and why the renovation has taken so long.
At the start of the project, one of our neighbours became Mister Petty and delayed us by 3 weeks. Stressful at the time, but we soon caught up once it was over.
Drainage works. As holes were dug, it became clear that some drainage work had to be made, which took up some time. Again, stressful at the time, but work ticked along regardless.
The architect who drew up the building plans didn’t (or did, I forget which way round) include enough steel beams. So that was another setback until correct plans were made and sent.
Building work just started slowing down before becoming non existent! There were big gaps when no one came to the house. Did I mention that it was super stressfull? Because it really was (is) Which leads me…
…to the shenanigans of our building contractor. Whilst everything was fine at the start, as time went on, it felt like they were dragging their heels to get anything finished. Without droning on into too many messy details, let’s just say we’re at an amicable enough state, but we’ve taken on a few things ourselves with the help of a team of builders through work. We just want it done.
That’s why my snapchats and Instagram Stories are just of me, head to toe in paint. There has been alot alot of painting.
Because we wanted herringbone style floor tiles, apparently this took longer to lay down than normal. But I love the effect, so I’m glad I stuck my heels in with that. Over the weekend, I went on a mission to get shit done and spent the entire day working on the flat. Two trips were made to DIY stores. By dinner time, I was mixing grout and slapping it on the remaining half of the room over Strictly Come Dancing.
I painted the new doors recently installed with Farrow and Ball’s Purbeck Stone, Robin sanded the hell out of everything, and I started the task of painting over anything glossy and magnolia with white, matte paint. You can see the difference in colour and it makes me shudder to see that horrible, grimy shade of magnolia. NO TO MAGNOLIA.
Our old kitchen is now the new spare room and it looks like a crack den. There’s no sugar coating it. The walls need to be replastered and the floor repaired before we can even make it a useable room. At the moment it’s a dumping ground for tools (and tennis bags apparently)
It hasn’t been completely all about building and DIY, but we’ve also been getting in bits of new furniture into the house.
Our new made to measure Pew bench arrives on Friday, that we got through a seller on Etsy. It comes with a handy bit of extra storage as the seat lifts up.
We bought a round dining table from IKEA- the Docksta model. For chairs, I found replica Tolix chairs in black, matte metal.
And finally, but probably most importantly- A NEW BED. I found ours from Next Home at a reasonable price and it is the Paris model. It has a beautiful tufted headboard and storage space underneath. I can’t tell you how amazing it was to wake up in a bed again after weeks of sleeping on a floor!
So, there you have it! That’s where we are currently!
Christmas is hurtling towards us, and I’m desperate to get the place visitor friendly. As soon as we get home from work, we’re working on the flat which is satisfying but I have a serious case of FOMO when I see everyone else putting up their Christmas decorations. It spurs me on to get more work done!